Sunday, November 13, 2005

Still Identifying With Martin of Tours

This week has been comprised of various people leaving me for one reason or another. The two best friends I have made in the bulk department at Central Market quit on Sunday. Tim got a job that suits him better -- working for Apple. Callaway lef today for Vermont to continue his training to be a certified Craft Brewer.

Then there's the Abbey. Steven boldly packed up his caravan (actually an import) from Bakersfield and moved into the Abbey 3-4 weeks ago. As much as we have grown to appreciate him, it was mutually agreed that the "fit was not right" for him to stay on long term. So, in whiplash motion, he found a couple of like-minded guys to live with and yesterday he moved out.

The biggest blow, though, was the loss of Chris (also last Sunday). We knew from the beginning that he was only on loan to us from his wife Jenny until they could get situated for her to join him here in Austin. And since he's found a job and they've got another place to stay, the family is back together. But our little clan has been deeply affected by his lack of presence.

Not seeing familiar faces in familiar places is painful. It sucks to let people move on. This is one of the prices of love, I suppose.

It occurs to me, however, that I asked Martin of Tours to pray for me a couple of days ago, specifically "that I would send others into unknown wonders." Perhaps, without realizing it until now, there is some of that going on here. Each of these people have gone into these different places with my blessing and encouragement (as meager as it may have been). I'll be telling you more about them in the coming few days, as I want to give tribute to some of the people in my life as a way of practicing Thanksgiving.

For now, Tim, Callway, Steven and Chris,
May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you
Wherever He may send you.
May He guide you through the wilderness,
Protect you through the storm.
May He bring you home rejoicing at the wonders He has shown you.
May He bring you home rejoicing once again into our doors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home