Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Got the itch again

Lot's of irony to the existence of this blog. But first, let me welcome you to the latest in a growing line of web-experiments that seem useful to me for a time, and then eventually get "baleted" as their purposes come to a halt. 'Twill be interesting to see how long the shelf life is on this'un here...

Irony #1 -- I set this blog up back in May, 2004 but never actually created a post until just this moment. I had dreams of a place that wasn't confined to "churchy" talk and "churchy" networks. In fact, the original plan was to try to host a blog without ever telling any of my "churchy" friends about it at all -- to keep it a secret in order to avoid any smackerings of offensiveness or confusion.

Irony #2 -- I semi-retired from blogger well over a year ago because there weren't enough intuitive functions. Well, about 3 weeks after launching a site over at typepad, behold!, blogger added the features I was wanting. Now that I have ended my stint with the nifty typepad folks, I'm back on the ol' blogger with a vengeance. [Believe me, I tried to find an "indie" blogging outfit that could meet my needs, but I couldn't find anything that could touch the google empire.]

Irony #3 -- I stopped blogging about 3 months ago. One of the ways in which I convinced myself that this was right was by channeling the memory of one the peerlings I admire most, Mark Scandrette. On the two previous occassions I had to hear and visit with Mark, he embodied for me the "pure local artist" -- a guy who seemed giddy NOT to conform to the seemingly self-evident fact that anyone who's anyone has a blog. As I finally mustered up the strength to hit the "are you sure you want to delete your blog?" button, I'm sure Mark's smiling psuedo-Bono-shades-laden face was only a synapse away from retrieval. Well, here's the punch line: last week I saw Mark again, and this time he was even giddier than before -- about the power and practicality of the blog and how effective his new blog has been at rallying people together for the most noble of reasons (like meeting to figure out how to sell 1/2 of your possessions and give the proceeds to the poor).

Irony #4 -- For the first time in my life (I'm 35, btw) I am going to attempt integrity, come hell or highwater. What I mean is that this blog will deliberately NOT cater to the greatest temptation to dualism in my life -- the careful apologetic back into the evangelistic church expression from whence I was commissioned to depart and the deeply engaged affirmation of life and love among the not-so-churchy friends that I currently move and breath with. My prayer is that anyone from my past who could never possibly grasp what is going to happen on this space will not have taken the time or energy to keep up with my back-to-back-to-back web changes. But my greater hope is that my quest for wholeness will cause any persons religated to either side of this duality to be pushed towards one another in genuine love and generosity.

To be the same person in three different places is to acheive holiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home